Steven D. Altman, NJ Criminal Defense Attorney
Contact a Professional Criminal Lawyer in NJ today
Steven D. Altman is a partner and founding member of the firm. After graduating from Suffolk Law School in Boston in 1969, he enlisted in the New Jersey National Guard, where he spent six years. Once he completed basic training, Mr. Altman started his legal career in the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office as a member of the Criminal Justice Division.
Fortunately, Mr. Altman found an opportunity to fulfill his goal of becoming a criminal trial attorney when he was offered a position in the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office. He remained there for five years, when he left to enter private practice. During that five-year period, he tried a wide variety of cases, ranging from murder and rape, to narcotics, wiretap cases, and thefts. For two of those years he was Supervisor of the Narcotics and Organized Crime Task Force. In 1978, decided to form a partnership with his former colleague from the Prosecutor’s Office, Joseph Benedict.
Mr. Altman’s entire legal career has exclusively been devoted to criminal law. More particularly, he has been involved in countless trials for capital murder, narcotics, political corruption, and financial crimes. He is one of the few lawyers who had tried wiretap cases, as well as a significant number of cases pertaining to different forms of sexual abuse, and numerous trials alleging vehicular homicide.
Mr. Altman is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney. He has been named in New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2005; and in “Best Lawyers in America” every year since 1995. In 2012 and 2014, Best Lawyers named him "Lawyer of the Year" for New Jersey in the area of Criminal Defense. New York Magazine annually rates him as one of the top criminal lawyers in the metropolitan New York City area, and “American Trial Lawyers” considers him one fo the top 100 trial lawyers in the area of criminal law. Martindale Hubbell, one of the oldest rating services, continuously awards him an “AV” rating, their highest.
Peer Review Rating: AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1969
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1984
- Criminal Practice Committee, New Brunswick, Middlesex County member, 1987–present
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association
- National District Attorneys Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey Trustee, 1995–2003
- Born in Newark, New Jersey, June 25, 1944
- Named as a Best Lawyer in the Field of Criminal Defense, Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2015
- Named Lawyer of the Year, New Jersey Criminal Defense, Best Lawyers.com, 2012, 2014
- Named Super Lawyer, Criminal Law, New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2005-2015
- New Jersey Deputy Attorney General,,1969–1970
- Assistant Prosecutor, Chief Special Enforcement Section, Middlesex County, 1970–1975
- Borough Attorney
- Borough of Spotswood, 1976–1990
- Borough of Jamesburg, 1986–1991
- Assignment Judge’s Criminal Law Committee member, 1986–present
- Middlesex County Ethics Committee, Member (1987–1990) and Chairman (1989–1990)
- Supreme Court Committee on Criminal Practice member, 1985–1987
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification
We can discuss your case and choose the course of action that is right for you. Every case is handled in a confidential and discreet manner. To set up your free initial consultation, contact Benedict and Altman today.